October 14, 2008

It is a Poverty

~ re-printed with permissin from A Maiden's Wreath


I believe the truest measure of any society is how it treats those who are least able to defend and speak for themselves. And who is more vulnerable, or more innocent, than a child?

--- Sarah Palin

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard in these past few weeks a lot of: Catholics have one-track minds. Catholics are one-issue voters. Catholics won't use reason and won't think for themselves.

Because of the unwavering stance of devout Catholics against abortion, many are prompted to make such comments.

I don't consider myself as being a one-issue voter. I do, however, think that I have my priorities straight. When I think of the innocents being slaughtered day after day, and when I think of Christ who suffered and died for the guilty, I can't think of an issue that's higher on the list.

But like I said, I don't consider myself as being a one-issue voter. In voting for life in the best way I'm capable of, I firmly believe that I'm also addressing the other failings of society. I don't see everything as disconnected. I don't see there as being the economy, and then education, and then health-care, and then... one thing is going to impact another in some way. A society's values, or lack of, will effect all aspects of that society.

And I believe that society is founded on the family, and that when babies are being killed in their mother's wombs, family is in a bad state and so is society.

I believe that a society in which thousands are legally butchered daily cannot hope to pull itself out of any mud it's slipped into until it walks away from the gates of hell.

Yes, I'm voting pro-life. I have never apologized for it, and I never intend to. People have and will continue to say that when our country is plunged into poverty and darkness because of my bull-headed one-issue voting, I'll have only myself to thank for it.

Poverty? I happen to agree with Mother Teresa when she said: "It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

Pray for an end to the slaughter. Pray for America, its citizens, and its leaders.

1 comment:

  1. For Catholics, there are4 (or 5? If there's a 5th, I can't remember) non-negotiable issues when it comes to voting. They are: Abortion, embryo stem-cell research, euthanasia, same sex-marriage. I think there's only four.
    So yeah, abortion is definitely a big one, but there are others.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!