October 23, 2012

I have discovered Half Price Books

Several months ago I heard about this wonderful sounding place called Half Price Books, that apparently was near to my house.  Since then I'd been dying to go, but either didn't have any extra spending money or the time to do so.  Yesterday I met up with a friend there and decided that it was a good thing that I don't do spontaneous trips to places further than 15 minutes away (HPB is 30 from my house) or I'd be there a lot more than would be good for slender spending money.  Though really ( because as the name implies, everything is half price and therefore very affordable) I think my spending money would take a harder hit from the Caribou Coffee next store.

I just love walking into a bookstore or a library and just seeing all those rows and rows of lovely books just waiting to be discovered.  Half the fun is simply looking at the books, even if you end up putting them back on the shelf.  I did come out with a bagful of books and only spent $30, so I feel the outing was quite the success.  There were some titles that I had read before, as well as one or two that I hadn't.  

I picked up a beautiful hardcover copy of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, my all time favorite Christie novel.  I also found a small treasure titled Lives of the Saints, complete with a few illustrations.  Then I got Tolkien's The Children of Hurin, which I have read, and Dorothy Sayer's Gaudy Night, which I have not.  I looked for The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins since I've now checked it out of the library three times and never gotten around to reading it but couldn't find it, so instead I bought The Moonstone, by the same author.  I did pick up one more book... but that is filed under SPOILERS to a certain someone and I cannot reveal the title.

So that was our adventure... and I really need to work on figuring out how to write up better concluding paragraphs for "hey, I went and did this!" type of blog posts.  Until I do... yep.  I'm done with this.  I'm going to go read a book now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!