|We are choosing to ignore the fact that I got the months confused and put March on this photo and I'm too lazy to re-upload it to PicMonkey and do it over.|
What I'm Reading
- Allegiant by Veronica Roth. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. AHHHH. I already wrote a book review of this so I won't spend more time crying and screaming here. I'll just say if you haven't read this series and you're up for a good heartbreak - go get it. Now.
- Under the Covers and Between the Sheets. I've not finished this one yet, but it's proving to be an amusing collection of anecdotes and fun facts about authors and written works. Best thing I've ever bought for $5.
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This was a very interesting story that I alas did not finish. I've been very slow at reading lately due to a lack of time, so I renewed it three times and then it finally had to go back to the library. It's a good story, set in World War II and narrated from the point of view of Death whom I can't help but imagine as Benedict Cumberbatch, and very unique in it's writing style. I am looking forward to seeing the movie sometime... should be good.
What I'm Watching
- The Olympics! This year was the first year that we've had any sort of television reception since I was seven, and so the first time that we've ever watched the Olympics (aside from the event here or there that we managed to catch at a friend's or relative's house). Figure skating was the family favorite, followed by snowboarding and skiing.
- Downton Abbey fell by the wayside during Olympics season, so I've missed the last few episodes. Friends of our somehow have the DVD already (purchased it from England?) and we petitioned to be next in line to borrow it from them so we can catch up.
- I missed the first two episodes of the season already, but I am super excited to be able to watch The Voice on NBC! I watched a season online (season 5, I think? The first one with Shakira) and I loved it. It's such a fun show, Blake, Adam and Shakira are awesome (Usher is kind of... just there), and I love the music and the performances that these people come up with.
What I've Been Up To Lately
- February was a busy month. We finished up season two of basketball for Brother #1 and season one of basketball for Sister #4. Brother #1 won two games this season - very exciting. It was so frustrating last year to go through the whole season never winning, and most of this season without winning either. Sister #4 didn't win any games until the very last one, which ended up being a mixed feeling as the team they played against only had four players show up, so one of Sister #4's teammates graciously went over to play for their team (and did a great job for a ten year old switching sides). Still, it was good to see them so excited when they won.
- For the last twelve or thirteen years, our homeschooling group has hosted an annual Daddy-Daughter Ball. The past few years have been a "SnowBall" theme in January, but with a late start to Lent this year we were able to switch things up and have a Sweetheart Ball! (Though a snowstorm nearly buried our plans). Seeing as I'm in school for Meeting and Special Event Planning I offered to help out with the planning and organizing to get in some experience, and ended up in charge of the beverages. It was a little challenging to calculate just how much we would need, nerve wracking as I worried that I wouldn't by enough and a little heart stopping when I saw the price. I'm fairly good at shopping cheap though, so comparatively speaking it wasn't that bad - I just don't like spending more than $35 at a time. It all worked out great and the drink bar with the mixed fruit juice and soda cocktails that I created was a hit!
- We've moved on from Microsoft Word to Excel in my Microsoft Office class and while all the numbers and forumlas in the assignments make my head spin a bit, it's so fascinating what you can do with these programs. I use spreadsheets a lot at my internship, and I'm looking forward to utilizing some of the handy tricks for sorting and organizing data that I've learned. Also, my school gave us all free downloads of Office 365 -sweet!
What I'm Following (Blogs and Other Interesting Links Around the Web)
- Kali Rose: A Bit Different - yay! New blog to follow!
- Proverbial Girlfriend - And another new blog!
- Bad Liturgy is Not a Victimless Crime - A thought provoking read.
What I'm Looking Forward To
- SPRING! Can we please, please, please have warmer weather now? At this point I will gladly accept temperatures in the 30s and 40s. There have been far, far too many weeks of 25 degrees and below.
- My birthday - coming up in just a few weeks! I am going to be Twenty-two. Twenty-two guys! That sounds so old... oh, and for Facebook friends reading this, if anyone even THINKS of posting Taylor Swift on my wall - I may be reconsidering our friendship. And writing my own song about being a mature twenty-two year old who isn't going out partying wildly and wanting to fall in love with random strangers and hook up ("We won't be sleeping. It feels like one of those nights,You look like bad news.I gotta have you, I gotta have you") and being irresponsible. *end mini rant*. But yes! My birthday!
- And tonight - my sisters birthday! Sister #1 is turning 20 tomorrow, which makes me feel even older. Agh. Tonight a few of my cousins' and I are taking her out for dinner - can't wait!