October 7, 2013

Back in Brown, or, My Second Attempt at Refashioning

I'd like to say up front that this wasn't a hugely in depth or complicated refashioning, but for someone who usually buys and wears her clothing as is, it was still a project.

The other day at the thrift store I found this cute and very comfortable brown dress.


In love with the beading and embroidery at the waist, not a huge fan of those sleeves.  Also, it had shoulder pads, which was the first thing to go.


Here's a closer look at those sleeves.  They just didn't do anything for me.  So I got to chopping.


After I got rid of that elastic business at the end, I used another dress as a guide to take in the sleeves a bit.


I did a little more trimming to make the ends even, then folded over a 1/4 inch seam and sewed it down.


See, so much better!  I'm a fan of 3/4 length sleeves and I like this hemming much more.


Now I'm all set for a fun day out in the leaves!  I wish... I'll be wearing it to work today.  But on another day, it's a great dress for going out!







3 comments:

  1. This post has been Confessions of a Seamstress approved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! The beaded waistband is particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, death to shoulder pads! I have no desire to look like a football player.

    It looks really nice, and you look lovely in it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!