December 7, 2013

Love is an Open Door

Spoiler Free!
Let me start out by saying - see!  I can do blog posts other than just photos with a few lines of text!

After that, I will start off again by saying that you know I loved a movie when I walked out of the theater and said "I think Belle just got demoted from the position of my favorite Disney Princess."  And if you know me, you know that I think thought that Belle was by far the best Disney Princess ever.  My love for Belle has gotten a case of cold feet however (hahaha - see, that was supposed to be funny.) because Elsa and Anna are quite simply, the best princesses Disney has ever created.

Frozen is loosely based off of the fairytale The Snow Queen by Hans Christen Andersen, and ended up being far different than what I was expecting.  (Don't bother watching the trailer or reading the movie theater synopsis).  Critics of Disney films who say that Disney gives you unrealistic expectations of men - yes, this one does too, but not how it usually happens.

I went to go see Frozen with my siblings, and that was the perfect company to go see it with.  Rather than focusing on a romance or running away from the evil queen, this tale centered around two sisters who loved each other very much.  The plot was strong, the characters were all very well developed and each stood firmly on their own.  The music was amazing, with a beautiful (what I'm assuming was some sort of Icelandic) chant at the start of the film, violin and pipes in the score and vocal songs ranging in various musical styles from your typical Disney musical, to quirky upbeat, to absolutely breathtaking and - dare I say - chilling ballad.  We laughed quite a bit and were on the edge our seats more than once.

Else and Anna really were pretty much perfect in every way.  They felt very real, and very relatable.  Elsa and I definitely had that eldest siblings bond going on, and while she received a little less screen time then Anna did she was still a well rounded character and you got a strong grasp of her fear, anxiety and struggle to just be normal.  She was elegant and strong




















And Anna.  Oh Anna.  Has any Disney Princess ever felt more down to earth and just awesome?  She's awkward (That line in "For the First Time in Forever" - "Don't know if I'm elated or gassy But I'm somewhere in that zone") and so innocent and hopeful.




















And together, they are just the best.  (Oh, this scene!)
















If you go into see Frozen wanting the standard Disney Princess plot of damsel (most of the time) in distress meets handsome and charming prince/guy and after they go through some adventures and danger realize that they are in true love, you won't find it.

*Side note - hilarious bit in there between two characters (guy and a girl) about the girl wanting to marry a different guy right after she met him, and this guy thinks it's just stupid*

What you will find is a story about family, about trust, about the power of the love between sisters.  So go and see it.  In the mean time I will be listening to the soundtrack on repeat that I bought immediately after leaving the theater and planning out a music video for when/if it ever finally snows around here.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is great! I've been pondering taking the nannied littles to see this movie, but I can't make up my mind. I think I will now, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such good things about it!! I initially wasn't interested, but I keep hearing rave reviews, so I'm excited to see it now. A Disney film about sisters sounds perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!