April 11, 2014

City Girl, Country Girl


I was born in the city, but I've lived out among the corn and bean fields for the last eleven years of my life.  I love the wide open spaces, being able to look out and see for miles and miles to the horizon, drive down the road without having to stop and go for stop signs and traffic lights.  I love being able to be as loud as I want with my siblings, blast music on a summer night and dress up in costumes and fancy dresses for photoshoots without having to care what neighbors might think.  I am a country girl, and I could never be completely happy living anywhere else. 

As of late, however, I have become a bit of a city girl as well.  I work part-time as an Intern in one of the satellite cities of Chicago, and I have come to really enjoy the environment.  I love getting to dress up for work and the feeling of satisfaction when I hit a lucky day in my fashion challenged life where I put together a really cute outfit.  I love the novelty of having so many restaurants to choose from when I forget/don't have anything to pack for lunch - only five or ten minutes down the road!  I love how sophisticated I feel when I splurge and get a coffee from Starbucks instead of McDonalds.  I love the busyness, the buildings, the atmosphere.  

I absolutely love working in this city, and getting to visit The City (that's Chicago folks, not New York) on occasion.  I think I would love getting a job someday downtown (where I could ride the train though, not drive), and being able to spend my days in the hustle and bustle of Chicago.  At night though, I still would want to come home to my cornfields, to be able to sit in the quiet and watch the sun set to the sound of crickets chirping and fall asleep with the distant yelp of a coyote.  I have a bit of both worlds in my heart, and a bit of both worlds is what I want.

1 comment:

  1. I stay in the city often because of the petsitting biz, but my heart lies in the country, that's for sure. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!