May 26, 2008

Why live in the light, when the night seems so irresistible?

Love comes softly. That is how I describe my reaction after reading The Midnight Dancers, the lastest in the Fairy Tale Novel series by Regina Doman. After reading it through one - very quickly, as I usually read - I admit I was not as impressed and enthralled as I had been after reading Regina's other books The Shadow of the Bear, Black as Night and Waking Rose. I liked it very much, I just was not sure how much. A few hours later, I picked it up and started it again - somthing I only do with the Fairy Tale Novels. By the time I finished it again, I was in love.


Why did love come softly this time? I think prehaps because it is a very different kind of book from its predecessors. The most obvious difference, is that it is not about Bear, Blanche, Fish and Rose, the heros of the former books. This story focuses on Paul Fester, a student from Waking Rose, and a 'new girl', Rachel Durham.

Second difference, this novel centers around a philisophical idea -as I believe it was refered to - something the former books didn't do. Hence, this is not a book you can read through quickly (like I did). If you do, chances are you won't take in and grasp that idea, and if you don't, chances are you won't enjoy the book as much. Reading the quote by Dietrich von Hildebrand - it can be found in the "A Little Bit About This Book" at the end - helps to understand what the 'philisophical idea' is. I refrain from quoting it here. If you wish to know what it is, buy the book on June 1st and read it.


Rachel Durham hereself is a different type of girl from Blanche and Rose. I won't get into details, but I shall say that, in most respects, the Brier girls and Rachel are like... day and night. ;-)


So was it a good book? Absolutly! Regina once again captures your interest from the begining, building up to an intensely wonderful climax. Again, she leaves you with a satisfying, beautiful, and romantic ending.


Sometimes love comes softly, but it does come.

11 comments:

  1. I agree!

    The beginning was absolutely fabulous, but towards the middle I almost started to lose interest until the exciting, wonderful, romantic, conclusion!

    Lady Rose, I believe that you forgot to mention that you (and some other fans) were able to read advanced copies of the Midnight Dancers.

    ~Tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    Just finished MD about five minutes ago!!!!!!

    Loved it Loved it Loved it!!!!!

    Yes, it is very different, but the ending was spectacular!

    . . .and the quote by von Hildebrand was helpful in understanding the thread of the story. . .

    ~Tweedledee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I will have to look into reading that one.
    -Coon

    P.S. Take a look at my sister's blog: http://hannahelizabethmaryjohnpaul.blogspot.com/2008/05/im-back.html
    She just started it, and I am sure she would appreciate any tips you could give her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was definitley very good, but different. I like it very much so far, but I think I liked the others a little better (but only a little). Now to go finish it...

    ~Jo March

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Thank you for reminding me! I got my copy in advance at the ILCHC conference. Regina Doman was there, and she had a preview copy of MD. So everyone else can buy it on June 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coon - Did you ever get the e-mail I sent you? I tried re-sending it, but I wasn't sure if it went through. ={

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! I still want to read it, but I suppose I have to wait till Miss Eliza Bennet reads it. *cries* I'm borrowing it...or at least, plan on it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* No. Maybe you could have Claire give me your email. I don't know, maybe we will just have to wait till camp to exchange emails. *rolls eyes and groans* Lol!
    -Coon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finished it on Tuesday!!! It was very good and the end fabulous! I think I am going to reread all 4 of them this summer in order...=)

    God bless,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read it and enjoyed it a lot. I wasn't sure what to expect....I honestly thought it was going to a 4th book about the Briers and Bear and Fish. (I wasn't keeping up with RD's website) I wasn't disappointed though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So this is really late...but wow, that is exactly how I felt too when I read it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!