December 3, 2010

O Come O Come Emmanuel - Sugarland

I've been watching the online rerun of the CMA Country Christmas over the past day or so, since I missed it when it was originally on ABC, and I was just delighted with it.  The fact that here were big name country music stars, on national  television, singing Christmas songs, sharing Christmas memories and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas was a delightful treat for me.  Not a single "Happy Holiday{s}" from anyone.  Reba McEntire said before performing her song that for her, Christmas is about "getting together and celebrating Jesus' Birthday".  In addition to your more secular Christmas songs like "Santa Baby" and "Walking in a Winter Wonderland", performers Rascal Flatts, Little Big Town and Martina McBride sang songs like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "Go Tell it On the Mountain" and "O Holy Night".  I guess country singers don't care about being politically correct. ;)

My favorite song of the show, however, was the second to last song performed by the musical duo Sugarland.  Now I do like some of their songs, however I've never been crazy about lead singer Jennifer Nettle's voice, which tends to be rather nasaly.  I was pleasantly surprised though by the depth and beauty that she showed when she sang "O Come O Come Emmanuel", I wish she would sing like that more often!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!