March 19, 2013

Thoughts before turning 21

In about twelve hours, I will be 21 years old.  Actually, almost twelve hours exactly.  I'm starting to write this at 10:39pm and I was born at 10:30-something am on the 20th.  Unless I am getting my birth time confused with one of my siblings...

So.  The big 21.  To me the thought of saying "Oh, I'm 21" sounds so old.  So grown up.  So much more mature than I am now.  I don't feel any older though.  I still feel young, and immature, and very much not grown up.  That could change once I actually am twenty-one, I suppose.  Or do you always feel like you aren't as mature as everyone else around you?  I'm not sure.

I've always thought it kind of funny, the hype over turning twenty one.  Really, the only reason is because now you can go out drinking, which in our culture is a big deal I guess.  I am excited about that I suppose.  Excited?  Well, maybe not excited?  Looking forward to it?  At least until the novelty wears off.  Then it'll probably be "okay, whatever.  I'll go have a pop again now."

Honestly though, for the last couple of months, I think my brain was thinking "Oh, twenty-first birthday!  Have a drink to celebrate and then that will be it!"  It wasn't until a week or two ago that I realized "Oh, that means, i'll be 21, and I can have a drink any time, not just on my birthday. Oh."

So yes, in a few more hours I'll be 21, and that's the end of my late night rambling for now.  Tomorrow I can post "Thoughts after turning 21?"  We shall see, we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!