July 25, 2012

Catholic Philosopher Chick


I will admit, when I first saw the title of Catholic Philosopher Chick my interest wasn't exactly piqued.  'Catholic', 'chick', okay I can relate... but the 'philosopher' sounded like... not my thing.  The cover was pretty cute though, and Regina Doman did help to write it, so maybe someday I would borrow a copy and read it.

Recently my family and I hosted the fifth annual Fairy Tale Novel Fan Gathering, or, as it is more popularly known, ReginaCon at our home.  Regina gave me a copy (actually, to me and my Knight... he'll get it when I go to visit him) and so naturally I read it.  I was very pleasantly surprised and it didn't take long before I was hooked.

Cate Frank is a two year old convert to Catholicism from Judaism, a journalism major formerly on the path to a successful fashion career and a native of New York, and now a grad student in philosophy in Texas.  Upon arriving at school, Cate decides to enter the philosophy class of her dreams - all on her beloved St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica.  She is quickly informed by an annoyingly good-looking guy also standing in line at the Registrar's office that first years never get into that class, and after that only if you've already got a B.A. and philosophy - oh, and philosophy is really kind of a guy thing.

Not to be dissuaded, Cate boldly approaches the (rather intimidating) professor of the class, gives her permission to take the entrance exam.  Cate passes with flying colors and becomes the only first year grad student and the only female in what is affectionately known as "The Suminar".  Now all she has to do is get her six male classmates to actually listen to anything she has to say... and figure out which, if any, of them is her Perfect Guy.

Catholic Philosopher Chick was deep at times - namely, in the recounting of classroom discussions - but they managed to be readable enough where dialogue was very engaging, even if you couldn't understand it.  Cate may be very academic and speak in philosophical terms that, as her friends point out, no normal human being understands, but she is also very interested in clothes, fashion and guys.  She is far from the perfect Catholic and struggles in many ways that I find my self struggling.  Despite being a bit arrogant at times and un-charitable as she herself admits, Cate does have a kind heart and reaches out in genuine kindness to a girl who needs it.

All in all, Catholic Philosopher Chick is an engaging, fun, thoughtful story of a girl who loves her shoes, her clothes, her friends and her faith.  If you are looking for a good, Catholic novel to round out your summer reading list, then I recommend you consider adding this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!