March 29, 2009

The Stations of the Cross

IX Station.
Jesus falls the third time
V. We adore Thee, O Christ, and praise Thee:
R. Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Meditation
Jesus, arriving exhausted at the foot of Calvary, falls for the third time to the ground. His love for us, however, is not diminished, not extinguished. What a fearfully oppressive burden our sins must be to cause Jesus to fall so often! Had He, however, not taken them upon Himself, they would have plunged us into the abyss of hell.

Prayer
Most merciful Jesus! I return Thee infinite thanks for not permitting me to continue in sin and to fall, as I have so often deserved, into the depths of hell. Enkindle in me an earnest desire of amendment; let me never again relapse, but vouchsafe me the grace to persevere in penance to the end of my life.
Our Father, etc.; Hail Mary, etc.

V. Lord Jesus, crucified:
R. Have mercy on us!


X. Station
Jesus is stripped of His garments.

V. We adore Thee, O Christ, and praise Thee:
R. Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Meditation
When Our Savior had arrived on Calvary, He was cruelly despoiled of His garments. How painful must this have been, because they adhered to His wounded and torn body and with them parts of His bloody skin was removed! All the wounds of Jesus are renewed. Jesus is despoiled of His garments that He might die possessed of nothing: how happy will I also die after laying aside my former self with all evil desires and sinful inclinations!

Prayer
Induce me, O Jesus! to lay aside my former self and to be renewed according to Thy will and desire. I will not spare myself, however painful this should be for me: despoiled of things temporal, of my own will. I desire to die, that I may live to Thee forevermore.
Our Father, etc.; Hail Mary, etc.

V. Lord Jesus, crucified:
R. Have mercy on us!
"The Stations of the Cross" taken from The Catholic Girls Guide by Father Lasance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!