September 9, 2014

Back in Books



Technically I'm three weeks in already, but it only just feels now that I've started up school again for the fall.  I'm on a Monday/Wednesday schedule, and the first week we had first day of class on Monday, then no class Wednesday because my teacher had family matters to attend to, then it was Labor Day, then we did have class Wednesday last week and then it was the weekend.  This week will be my first "full" week of classes!

If we're going by number of 'years' that I've been in school, I'm somewhere between a Junior and Senior. Going by number of semesters that I've spent in college, I'm a Junior.  If you're going by the number of years I've been at community college, I'm a sophomore.  Or, I'm just a student.

Going back to school this fall was different, and interesting.  I'd forgotten how good it feels to not be the new kid on campus on the first day.  What it's like to walk down the halls and smile knowingly when you see the bewildered first-years wandering around with their schedules and scanning for the right classroom.  I have a lovely red leather bag for my books now, instead of a backpack, and I did feel so grown up and knowledgeable as I walked down the halls, knowing exactly where I was going and what to expect.

I have a new teacher this year (there are two in the department, one does mainly morning classes and the other afternoons) but there are plenty of familiar faces among my fellow students and I feel like I'm getting to know my teacher very well already.  I'll be learning service, catering and understanding wine this year.  Understanding Wines is proving to be a huge wealth of information, we've only had two classes and already I have learned so much.  We tried our first four different types of wines yesterday, and I discovered that I really shouldn't go into class hungry because I will end up walking out with a slight buzz.  Hmm.

I'm looking forward to the semester, to continuing to learn, to continuing to develop acquaintances.  To planning the food for my other teacher's wedding in my catering class. (I know... no pressure right?)  I think it's going to be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, and thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me! I do love reading all and any comments. =] Please note that I do moderate, and any comments that do not meet with my standards and approval will be deleted. Thank you!